Friday, May 2, 2014

Net Neutrality

This is going to be quick because I'm really tired. But it has come to my attention that net neutrality is becoming serious. Net neutrality is hard for me to explain so I am going to be very brief and then give you links and Hank's video for better information and how to take action.

The internet has become an economic issue. It used to be that internet access used to be free right? Now we have cable companies and phone carriers charging us to be able to have that access. Hank makes a point in his video that a cable company has caused Netflix to run slower to increase their HBO sales (HBO usually costs extra from what I'm aware). If things continue on this path sites like YouTube and Netflix will have to pay more for their viewers to have access to their sites. This could eventually lead to higher subscription fees and more advertising.

So here is Hank's video:




The following is a link to a website that can give you more information on how to take action, one of which is donating (that pops up right away).

http://www.savetheinternet.com/sti-home

And this last one is a link to a Harry Potter Alliance page that explains more in debt on this topic and will also allow you to send an email directly to the FCC. DO NOT leave a comment for the FCC. The previous link might mention you could do that (Hank also mentioned it), but leaving a comment requires to give an address that can be viewed by the public. Emailing them directly asks for email, state, and zip code and I did not see anything about that information being made public.

http://dft.ba/-tell_the_FCC

Another thing you can do is spread the word. I've sent my email now I'm spreading the news.

Ok that is all for now. Please let me know if these links don't work so I can fix them.

1 comment:

  1. on a semi-related topic, the reason why so many websites have ads is so we don't have to pay. ad agencies pay websites to have their ads put up. thats how websites make money. thats why pandora started putting ads up, so that people could still use it for free. they're inconvenient, but it beats paying.
    Alex

    ReplyDelete